Saturday, October 13, 2007

pee stories

Hee hee. What the heck. I just did a post on all my deep down inner ugly feelings. Might as well throw this one out there, too.

Do you know what it means for me to be doing the longest swim sets ever as I prepare for an Ironman? It means that I will inevitably have to get out of the pool mid-workout and have to pee! I can't deny that I haven't considered just going in the pool, but I have NOT done it! I swear! I always get out! Yes, I've peed in my wetsuit, mid-race, in the lake, but NEVER ever never in the pool! The lifeguards usually look at me funny when I've just completed 2000 yards and then I get back in to do more, but I want to be an Ironman. That's how I roll. :)

Yesterday I had an enlightening conversation with Bob the friendly teacher moonlighting as a bike mechanic. He was telling me how he HATES working on triathlete's bikes. And he works at a bike shop that has their own tri club! Tough gig for him. He said one bike came in smelling like urine so bad, the shop refused to work on it. Yes, if you didn't know, that's because the person peed on their bike while riding. I haven't been able to do that, but it always sounded like a badge of honor. To hear Bob talk about it (he said they wear gloves anytime they work on a tri bike!) it just sounds GROSS! Ewwww!!!! Suddenly all of those rock star triathletes that I looked up to just aren't as cool as I once thought they were. Maybe it's not so bad being an average Joe wanna-be. Ha!

3 comments:

jo.s said...

Peeing during a pool swim is just a pain. Don't matter what I do (not drink for hours before/pee constantly before) come about 1.5K I have to get out and take care of business and get back in :(

Such a nice subject to discuss :)

Anonymous said...

You know, the reason they have chlorine in the pool is to kill all the gross stuff that people bring into the pool...including pee. Go ahead and pee, it's fine.

On the other hand, peeing on your own bike is GROSS! Get off the bike for 45 seconds, find a bush and pee. I cannot imagine what urine does to components. I wonder if Shimano or Campy will come out with a special set of components that is resistent to pee? There is a money making opportunity right there!

Unknown said...

I'd never pee on my bike, I paid alot for that sucker! Anyway friendly bike mechanic Bob said it's way worse than all of the other horrible stuff I've been doing to ruin my back the last couple of months. Plus, I'm just not sure I'm talented enough to pull that off. In the pool - well, I could probably do that.