Wednesday, October 3, 2007

30 days out

Shout out to my friend Scott who shares the best kind of "live vicariously through the single guy" stories with me--but doesn't want to be named on my blog. Ha! You made it anyways! I love you man! He did a century ride recently and definitely gave me (and surely every other triathlete out there) props for sitting on that bike seat and then trying to run afterwards.

I'm working hard this week. Thirty days to go. Ai yi yi. I had to do a 3200 (8x400 with :30 rest breaks) in the pool tonight, took me approx. an hour and 20 minutes. That was pretty good for me. If nothing else, I've made some nice gains in my swimming this past year.

I needed to get a tune up on my bike before the big race. I'm so proud of myself. In true Ironman style, I got up at 4:45 a.m. yesterday morning so I could fit the hour bike and 45 minute run in before I gave up my bike for a few days. The great part was that I don't think I was fully awake until the last 20 minutes of the run, so believe it or not, it went by pretty fast. I don't plan to make it a habit, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be.
Triathlete joke:
Q: How can you pick out a triathlete?
A: They are the ones that get up at 4 a.m. but don't get to work until 9!

I gave my bike to one of the teachers I work with that also moonlights at one of the local bike shops. It was great because he knows I'm on a tight schedule and he promised to keep my bike for only a day or two so I could get it back to train. Unfortunately, he came to school today and told me that a piece of my rear derailer is messed up (the hanger is stripped?) He's going in tonight to see if they have one in stock, but there's a chance he might need to order it. It could take one to two weeks to come in... Send me good vibes and well wishes that they have one in the shop. I'm supposed to do a six hour ride this weekend. I can ride my mountain bike for the shorter rides, but I'm not doing six hours on my mountain bike. Warning to all my roadie friends: I might be looking for a bike to borrow this weekend...

6 comments:

Mike said...

Good vibes coming your way from NZ ... 6 hours on any bike (ouch) but on a mountain bike ... OUCH!!!

RunToTheFinish said...

I keep toying with the idea of a tri, but seriously the bike just kills me. my tush can't take it!

FunFitandHappy said...

Sending good vibes your way....I'm praying the weather holds out this weekend - so far I've been lucky - I can't imagine doing 6 hours on a trainer, much less a mountain bike....

Anonymous said...

I heard it might be a high of 45 on Saturday....plenty warm enough to get a bike in. Just think, the cooler it gets, the less you sweat!

My bike is just collecting dust, please feel free to use it for however long you need it.

30 days out...that means a taper is near! Keep plugging away, you can do it!

Duane said...

It's getting close! Very cool! Good luck with the bike!

Tea said...

When I was running this weekend, it guy road past past me in shorts and short sleeved shirt. I don't know HOW he could do that! It was only 38 degrees! If you don't head out too early, you should have a nice ride this weekend.

Good vibes coming your way!