Monday, October 8, 2007

Mean people suck

And today, I'M going to be the mean person... Yes, today it's ME. I have a blog, and it's semi-anonymous, so I'm just going to rant, get it all out there, and be a mean person.

I'm in the teacher's lounge today, and someone decides to talk over the entire 20 foot table to tell me that their brother finished the Chicago marathon this weekend. "Hey, that's awesome, good for him." It actually made me feel good that this person bypassed and decided to talk over 15 people to share this news with ME. Pretty cool.

Apparently, being the mean and cocky triathlete that I am, I wasn't as enthusiastic and impressed as I was supposed to be.

Others joined in to tell me, "But did you hear about it? OMG!"

I just casually acknowledged that yes, I had heard it was 88 degrees and they were afraid that they would run out of ambulances so they called the race off. I think Susie really just wanted to brag that her brother was FAST enough that he missed all the late in the race drama. I'm kind of ticked that they didn't say congrats in his regards, instead they tuned in on the fact that I "wasn't getting it".

The others, not Susie, continued to tell me all about the heat that those people endured. I tried to be nice. (I'm from Michigan, I DO get humidity. I do!) so I commented, "Yeah, I'm sure it must have been the humidity, but I did a half-ironman this past summer in 98 degree heat."

That my friends, did not go over well...

"Yeah, but you didn't have humidity! And they had to take people to the hospital! Somebody died!"

I quickly took my place and shut up, because I was going to get no kudos for my endeavors. These people really do not understand what I do. But I'm home tonight and just slightly upset about the run of that conversation. I looked up the stats. 45,000 people signed up to do the Chicago Marathon. Okay, apparently, only 35,000 showed up. Another 10,000 never finished (in part because they closed the course mid-race.) 250 people needed medical attention. One person died.

So, the one person died of heart problems, not heat. And... if you do the math, 250 people out of 35,000 that started the race--that's less that one percent. While I can't say with complete certainty, I'm pretty confident that at least one percent (probably more!) of the people in my upcoming Ironman will need medical assistance. Heck, I might even be one of them. Have I ever done a triathlon where someone died? YES I have! (Boulder Peak 05') Again, not because of the triathlon, but because of other health problems.

Now, I will give Barry Siff many props for running a fantastic half ironman race in the heat last August, and if there hadn't have been enough water, or Gatorade, or ice for that matter, there would have been more problems. (apparently there wasn't enough water and Gatorade in Chicago.) We're also starting to acclimate to colder temps, so 88 seems a whole lot hotter than it did last summer. But C'MON! Don't blow the triathlete off. Give triathletes SOME credit. Grrr........

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are a few Ironman anecdotes. IM MOO 2005. 99 degree heat and 90% humidity. The race set an Ironman record for largest DNF at about 25%.

IM MOO 2006. 55 degree weather and rain. 400+ of 2600 DNF due to the crappy conditions. When I got to transition 2, it looked like a war zone. I saw guys shivering under the mylar blankets. Guys completely out of it because of the cold. Miserable day.

Now my rant for the marathon. First off, it is ONLY a marathon (I can say that because I am an Ironman). Second, no one in their right mind just goes out and does a marathon (a 5k or 10k maybe), you need to train for a marathon. You need to train in ALL types of weather conditions for a marathon because you never know what the day is going to be like.

Some people, like the people you teach with, will never truly understand what it means to do an Ironman. Let them go on believing that the Chicago Marathon is bigger than what you are doing. Those of us in the know really understand.

FunFitandHappy said...

I posted something about ~1% having issues on a running forum....and was met with a very similar reaction :)

RunToTheFinish said...

I have to admit my thought process was that all these people trained during July and August, the hottest months of the year in the US and well..they figured out how to do that, so what was the big deal on race day. Sure it's not ideal, but..ok I'll stop before I get in trouble but really.

Unknown said...

I have to agree w/ Kirk and add in how many marthons have persons who are hit by cars. Much less trapped underneath a car for several hours breaking several bones and puncturing lungs. (He raced again same race 2 year later) Or, even flown to the hospital and later succombing to injuries. But I digress. Yes, it is a shame a big name race lke the Chicago Marathon did not plan for the hot weather and really any hoopla for the cancelation, death and general uproar should all be directed at the race directors and thier croonies.

Kevin said...

Bless you!!! You sould have MADE them get it. I had a similar conversation this morning about the Army Ten Miler. It not a marathon, but it was hot and humid here in DC this weekend.

I did an oly this summer in 90+ and very high humidity. Hilly bike and very hilly single track off road trail. You need to be able to deal with your situation.

Thanks again!!

Mile High Multisport said...

So you've run a marathon...How Nice....

Tea said...

What's that saying? "Yea, I run marathons as my cooldown."

I agree with you. Andy and I were emailing about that exact situation. I guess when we were on the course for 8 hours in extreme heat followed by a hailstorm...that just can't compete with being forced off a course in 4 hours.

If any of those marathoners were triathletes...they would have finished with or without water, regardless of the heat.