Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Iron drama

I feel like a total freak these days with the roller coaster rides of emotions that I'm feeling... But I think it's normal for any first-time Ironman competitor.

Anyways, today's over-thought out emotion is this: my predicted times are such that I could easily end up between 16-17 hours. I've read about people that thought they would finish there, but didn't finish at all. I've been trying so hard to mentally prepare myself to be okay with the journey if I don't finish...

But... There's a certain degree of self-fulfillment that I need to deal with. If I go into this knowing that I'll be okay if I don't finish... Who's to say that I won't quit when my legs are toast and more pain-filled than I ever thought imaginable... at mile 13 of the run? I can't let myself believe that it is okay to quit. I have to know I can do this! I have to believe it! I have to know that I will not quit! Somehow I need to balance the emotions of "It's okay if you don't finish" and "It's NOT okay if you don't finish!"

Stay tuned for more prerace Ironman drama queen action tomorrow!

3 comments:

FunFitandHappy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
FunFitandHappy said...

Welcome to taper madness...not that this helps, but it's totally normal and expected....

As the Univ of Md. tagline goes....FEAR THE TURTLE!!

Andra Sue said...

I bet once you get out there, even if you go into it thinking "it's okay if I don't finish", you'll push yourself as far as you can to get over the finish line. :D