Sunday, April 1, 2007

Weekly Training Summary

I was nervous about doing it, but I went for a long bike ride today--and it went well!!! I'm on cloud nine tonight!!! My coach wanted me to try to ride and hour and fifteen minutes. He said if I couldn't do it, not to worry. I was so nervous about trying this. Since I've been sick, I've only had to put my bike on the trainer and get seat time spinning in the easiest gear possible for 30 minutes at a time. (Um, if you didn't know--seat time is kind of important--if you haven't ridden in a while and jump on a bike, you can get bruising in the shape of bike seat that lasts for a few days. Not pretty.)

So I find the flattest bike trail around (that's not an easy thing to do around here.) The first fifteen minutes my body really tried it's best to pursuade me to quit. The next half hour it let up, with little coughing reminders that I'm sick and out of breath moments on baby hills that never would otherwise bother me. By the last half hour, I think my body just decided "Screw it! She's gonna make us do this no matter what!" I felt really good the last half hour! I thought for sure my body would pay me back with a killer coughing spell when I quit, but it didn't!

My energy level is getting better, the darn coughing is still driving me crazy. I'm hoping that it's just my body clearing all the gunk out of my lungs... Here are the week totals for a sick girl trying to train for an Ironman:

swim: 1.85 miles
bike: 27.5 miles
walk (and a slice of jogging): 6 miles

Eventually this will probably be 1/2 of a days worth of training. Ha! It'll be fun to watch these numbers grow. Greg put a running tally on our computer... 215 days.

Oh yeah, my coach took 109th out of 2200 people at the Ironman California 70.3 race this weekend. He's a rock star.

No comments: