Thursday, April 5, 2007

I wave the white flag

Ugh! Have you ever coughed and coughed and coughed so hard that your ribs and back just ache? I'm on week four of this ridiculous cough! Ironman scares me to death, so I've used every spare bit of energy the last two weeks to try to get some training in. For whatever reason, Tuesday was just a cough festival for me.

I think I finally hit that point of surrender today. I just can't take it. I tried to play volleyball last night--a testament that I really like volleyball and/or I really like the girls I play with. It's been several weeks since I've played and our season ends next week. Unfortunately it didn't go very well. My ribs hurt so bad that anything with sudden movements or reaching and jumping hurt (that encompasses close to everything in volleyball.) With my ribs hurting as bad as they were, I decided to take the rest of the day off and put off all my training until today.

Today comes and goes. My ribs hurt. I just plain don't feel like doing anything that might make me cough anymore than I already do. Biking and running make me cough. Swimming is a constant self-talk situation of me convincing myself that my ribs don't hurt and pain is my friend...

I wave the white flag today. Sorry coach.

No comments: