Monday, April 16, 2007

5 good things for today


I'm done with the chiropractor. Yahoo! He wanted me to come back on Thursday to "Check on me." (I'm pretty convinced that was secret chiropractor code language for, 'Why don't you stop back in and write me another $50 check?' Oh my dear chiro friend--don't you understand that I'm catching on to your reindeer games???) I smiled. He doesn't know it, but I'm done. You see, I didn't want to go to the doctor because I thought for sure they'd say, "You fracture/bruised your ribs, although we can't tell for sure because the X-Ray is hard to see. You need to rest for 4-6 weeks. Now pay me my $25 copay." I opted for the chiropractor because I thought he could do a quick fix on the ribs, and I'd be on my way. Today was appointment #3. I told him happily the pain was slowly easing up and I only had sharp pains when I moved just right instead of all the time. Instead of smiling back at me, he shook his head. ???? "I hate to tell you this, but if you just dislocated something, it should be fine by now. You definitely tore something. You need to rest those muscles for a good 4-6 weeks for it to really heal." Huh, what? I paid $150 for you to tell me to rest for 4-6 weeks? The irony of it all.

But all is not lost. Today was still a good day. Here's why:

2) My year-end review went well at work. Albeit, from some of the things she said I think my assistant principal has me confused with my coworker (that is pregnant!!!) But the paperwork all reads good.

3) One of my student's told me today that I never frown. ? "Yep, you smile all the time. Mrs. X, you even smile when you're yelling." Huh? "Lauren, is that a good thing or a bad thing?" "Don't worry Mrs. X, it's a good thing." So, I'm going to take that as a good thing, I think...

4) My coach called. I went and visited him. I'm so glad I picked the local guy instead of the girl in North Carolina. We got to talk. "I'm registered for Ironman, Coach! You know, 2.4 miles, 112 miles, then 26.2 miles, all in one day! How am I ever going to be able to do that with all these setbacks????" He assured me that we can start to hit it hard in a few weeks and all will be fine. "People that weigh 150 pounds more than you are able to train and complete an Ironman in six months. You can do it! Let's just be smart. Rest. And let's not make setback #3 because you tried to do too much too soon to make up for lost time." So, my fears were eased a bit today.

5) While someone once told me that 'No one will read your blog, so be content to journal for yourself,' apparently someone's reading. I had some wonderful people email me today because I've been so down about my illness and injuries. Wow. Now I feel stupid for my public little pity parties. Thanks for the supportive emails girls!

If anyone is reading this besides myself 200 days, 8 hours, 20 minutes, and 30 seconds from now... These are the trials that make you feel even more proud of your accomplishments later on down the road. Whining and crying is just what athletes do when they can't workout. Huh, I guess that means I'm sort of an athlete? That's kind of a good feeling. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate the thoughts and prayers. I really do. Thanks gang! Today was a good day.

Hey Carolee! "You go grrrl!"

No comments: