Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Training Days

So I thought the blog thing would be cool to track my thoughts as I progress towards Ironman status. Maybe it will be, maybe it won't be. Not sure. I frequently have little a-ha moments but as the day winds down... I'm exhausted! and I can see why so many of my friends start blogs and then never update them!

Really, training is tiring. Greg mentioned that it's a good thing I'm not working right now because I'd be a spaz maniac mess if I also had to hold down a job. He's absolutely right. I'm so dreading August when I go back to work. My schedule right now is this: Get up (ah!!!! But I do get to sleep in! Only with the temps in the high 90's, it behooves me to get up early), get a workout (or two) in. Make a good healthy lunch for the hubby and enjoy together. Kiss him off to work. Clean up the kitchen mess. Check email, basically try to relax a little. Stall like crazy because I know I have another workout to do. Now when exactly do I want to do that? Get everything together to do the other workout, pack the bags, do it, come home (now 8 p.m.), eat, collapse.

Now that just doesn't leave a lot of highly motivational time left in there. Take tonight for instance. I logged a whopping 2 hours 45 minutes in my training log. But in reality it went like this:
Workout 1: (Figure out what to wear. Find radio and hydration pack.) Drive 15 minutes to good running local, RUN 1 hour, drive 15 minutes back. Total time: 1:30 not including time to put run stuff away.
Workout 2: un-noted stall time. To drive and pay to get in? Or bike it in free? I opted to bike it in to the state park because I'm cheap. Okay, now to gather all necessary open water swim stuff. Backpack, check. Towel, check. Wetsuit, check. Signed waiver to let me swim, check. You get the point. Doublecheck all that. Get swimsuit on. What to wear on the bike. What to wear afterwards because I know I have to lift weights afterwards... Load bike in car. Drive to free parking spot 2.5 miles away from park. Unload bike. Bike it in. Sign in. Go 2 bathroom. SWIM 1 hr. 15 min. Dry off. Clean wetsuit off in lake. Pack up. Bike back to car. Take wheel off bike and load up. Drive to gym.
Workout 3: Weights and Core exercises. Drive home. Workouts 2&3= 4 hours.

Total time attributed to my workouts today? 5.5 hours.

Yep, almost six hours when you count driving time, prep, etc. That's a part-time job folks!!!!

Training for Ironman really has brought my husband and I closer. We are both extremely understanding of the other and why neither of us is doing a darn thing to our house or yard these days... When you are home, you just want to put the feet up... Not because your being lazy, but because you want to save every ounce of energy for the next workout!!!!

Now... Can I let that basket of clean clothes on the floor sit for one more day? Hmmm....

No comments: