Saturday, February 2, 2008

Living life with no regrets

I figured it out! How do you follow-up an Ironman and beat the post-big-event depression?

Yeah baby! Yes, it's true, I stood in line for almost 10 hours to be on a reality tv show... Yep, never thought that would happen... But I don't regret it for a second. Yee-haw!!!!!!! I definitely have new respect for the long try-out lines on American Idol. Yes, it was long, but the people watching and eavesdropping was a blast.
Today I tried out to be on American Gladiators! How awesome is that!!!!!!!? It all started with my assistant principal egging me earlier this week. She had heard they were doing a casting call in the Denver area. She said I was the one person in her mind that could do it. She thought it would be great to get my whole school behind me. I just laughed at her. But then I went home and thought about... I laughed some more, but I entertained the idea. Hmmmm.... I asked my husband... He didn't laugh. I asked my brother, he didn't laugh. I knew my husband had to work, but I knew somebody else that would be AWESOME on that show. My husband's best friend runs, lifts, and does martial arts. The guy has NO body fat! He is solid muscle. He wasn't home, so I talked to his wife... She didn't laugh at me either! As my husband put it, "You're the only one that's laughing about it." Tim calls me back. He loves the idea! Tim was a great person to spend 10 hours in line with, too.

On Friday, I told several teachers and students that I was going to do it. (No backing out now! The accountability piece was now in place!) You know what? I think I was by far the most popular teacher in the school by the end of the day Friday! When I told my students they starting roaring and throwing fists in the air. Yeah! Go teacher! I love my kids! I still don't know who did it, but somebody hung a huge 'Good Luck' banner at the school exit for all to see. EVERYbody saw it by the end of the day! I was receiving well wishes and highfives from everybody! Ha! I think I received more whoop-la for trying out for this than I did for doing my Ironman! I couldn't believe it!

On a more serious note, I always wanted to make a difference in my kids lives by being a great teacher. As it turns out, I think my best teaching moments are occuring not from hours of lesson planning, but by telling stories about things that have nothing to do with school. I told my students that I didn't think I could do an Ironman, but I tried, and I did it. I know my chances are slim to be on this tv show, but I'm going to give it a shot, even if people laugh at me. My students were so supportive. I told them that I want them to remember me later in their life if there's ever something they want to do, but they're afraid they can't do it or somebody might laugh at them. Would you believe my students were hooked on my every word when I gave them my little pep talk? This has been one of the most rewarding years of my teaching career. I really do love my job as a teacher.

Tim and I stood outside in the cold for 4 hours.
We stood in line inside for 5 1/2 hours.
I told myself to keep it fun but somehow I still had race nerves. I had the same pre-race butterflies. I made the extra trips to the restroom. The five minute physical test was harder than I expected. It was a blast. Thanks for sharing this great day with me Tim! I'll post some of his pictures tomorrow. The pictures here were taken from the casting story at 9news.com.

Today, I like me. I like knowing that I've lived a full life. I like that I do crazy things that other people want to do, but for whatever reason, they won't. Don't be that person! Are you living a full life?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you. freakin. rock. not only are you awesome, but by being such an inspiration, you help other people make their lives more awesome.