Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spring Break 2008! Moab!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess what this week is!?
It's Spring Break baby!

So I realize that a good blog has a focus. A good blog shouldn't just be willy nilly thoughts and writings. My focus was doing an Ironman. I did that. And now I'm kind of lost. I have a few small events this summer, and we're planning a road trip to sign up for another Ironman... But until then... You're stuck with vacation photos... If nothing else, because my mom reads my blog... She loved Moab when I took her there.


So... Moab! Four days worth of absolute fun! If you're not familiar with Moab, it's a small southeastern Utah town kind of in the middle of nowhere. It's about six hours from Denver. It has two BEAUTIFUL national parks in the vacinity (Canyonlands, and Arches National Park). It is plastered with hidden hiking trails, 4X4 trails, and of extreme importance... Mountain bike trails. Now since I'm a triathlete, mountain biking hasn't really been my thing as of late... So we also bring our roadbikes and have taken part in the Moab Skinny Tire Festival, too. For this reason, Greg really wanted to take our bikes on this trip. I objected because the weather wasn't supposed to be that good. It's a desert town, so it's very hot in the summer, and very cold in the winter. Spring and Fall are the ideal times to visit, but we hit it on a weekend where winter wasn't quite over yet. Darn!
I persuaded the hubby to leave the bikes behind, and pursue some of the hiking that I always want to do... It seems we're always in town for a volleyball tourney, a bike festival, or some other event. I was really excited to just go and hang out. Poor man's Spring Break! Here I come!

We spend the first night camping in town. The next morning I talk him into driving an hour and a half south of Moab to the southern part of Canyonlands National Park. It's called the Needles district.
I've been there once before, loved it, and always wanted to go back. We pitched our tent, and spent the rest of the afternoon hiking. AWESOME stuff! We had perfect hiking weather, too. Not too hot, not too cold.


I think my favorite part of hiking here is that you actually get to hike up to the top of the rock formations and hike above the land. It's so cool!
hee hee. Greg has antlers!

3 comments:

Tea said...

Hey, shouldn't your blogger name be IronTurtl now? Wait, maybe IronWabbit is more appropriate.

FunFitandHappy said...

Great pictures - thanks for posting these. Makes me miss Moab :(

Sherry said...

Hi there! I'm a newbie to your blog and a newbie triathlete... looking for a little inspiration! :o) I'm so glad that I found my way here. I've really enjoyed reading your race reports and looking at all of your pictures. Loved your Florida Ironman report! Hope to be there myself, someday...

I'll be sure to stop by again!