Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Questions

Last week, post half-ironman, I was struggling with sloth-like tendencies. I was pretty tired and forcing myself to workout was a struggle. I did most of my workouts, but I justified some extra time off because I knew my body was very tired and it needed to recover.

This week, I'm back on the train. Funny thing is... I'm questioning whether the train is going fast enough.

As you get closer to something like an Ironman, I wonder if it's totally normal to start questioning yourself and your training. I did an hour and a half brick tonight. Hour bike, half hour run. I did a similar workout two nights ago but it required elevated heartrates. Tonight I just had to go do the brick and keep my heartrate down. While it'd be a stretch to say that I wanted to run longer, I just don't feel like it's enough. Hmmm... I'm betting this is normal, but it's making me a little crazy thinking about it. .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is normal to doubt yourself. You are about to embark on an adventure unlike anything you have done before. It will push you mentally and physically. The best thing is to trust that you have done enough...all the long hours in the saddle, the long runs and the seemingly endless swims. They were all done with one purpose in mind- to finish Ironman. When the day comes, you will have to rely on all those workouts to get you through the day. Know in your heart, your mind, your arms and legs that you trained long enough and hard enough to finish. This adventure has been a year coming...you have worked hard and it will all be worth it when you ross the finish line.

Mike said...

Stick with the plan. Don't risk injury by doing 'just a little bit more' because what you're doing feels too easy. I fall into that trap too often! :(

Good luck with the rest of the training

Tea said...

Excellent advice so far. Of course, I haven't done IM but I have done races that pushed me. I would have those same thoughts.

you are so close now that you have to stay focused on your plan...don't deviate! You're doing great.

I am getting so excited for you. So, if you want to unload nerves, go ahead and throw them my way. ;)

Tea said...

I'm doing the 3:00 on Sunday. gulp. it's the furthest I've run in like FOR-EVAH!

Everytime I'm out there, I think about you! a month out...I'm so excited!