Sunday, September 9, 2007

Making gains

Congrats to all the Ironman Wisconsin participants this weekend. Some finished, some did not. But they ALL put their heart and soul into it. That much I'm sure of.

I'm having a really good week this week. I hit every single one of my workouts, and my legs are sore tonight, Sunday night. I feel like I'm training for an Ironman. And that makes me happy. Sore legs make you happy you ask??? Yep... It means I didn't sit on my arse this weekend. I rode 80 miles on my bike, I ran 14 miles, and I swam about a mile, all in two days time.

It took me three hours to run the 14 miles today (my hubby did the exact same distance in 2 1/2 hours--good job hubby!) but my coach is pushing the Jog 9 min/Walk 1 min. strategy, and I padded the walk upwards of 1:30 here and there, and it worked well. When I hit the two hour mark today I was still feeling fine. And while I didn't run a minute more than I had to, I felt as though I could have run a "little" (we're not talking marathon here folks) more if I had needed to. I did well!

Not quite two years ago I started training for a marathon around this time. I did a 14 mile and a 16 mile run, and then had some health issues to which the doctor requested that I quit the marathon training. I slowly worked up to those long runs and watched myself build every week. When I finally hit the 14 and 16 mile runs, I made a HUGE deal of it. They were hard!

Today I ran the same trail that I did those long training runs on two years ago, and it was no where near the pain I remembered. AND I did it after an 80 mile bike ride yesterday. Yeah me!!!!

I don't think I've fully seen the gains I've made over the last six months because I worry too much about my speed and 'Will I be last', 'Will I make the cutoff times???' and every other possible thing I can think of to worry about. But today, I don't care about the time issues. Today I realized that I really am getting stronger. Huh. Pretty cool stuff.

9 comments:

The Original MAJ said...

Best. Feeling. EVER!
:)

Duane said...

Are you doing Harvest Moon? Tea mentioned she will see you there. I am volunteering and I think I will be at registration checking or body marking. Please look me up!

Tea said...

Ok--Now I really know what you look like. :)

Also, remember this is my FIRST HIM. So, you'll finish WAY earlier than me. I'm just hoping to make the cutoff.9:30 +1 min walking is REALLY good!
congrats on the awesome training week.

Alili said...

Just discovered your blog, it's so great! That sounds really corny, but seriously I just read all of August and September and I'm hooked. I can't wait to hear about your journey to IMFlorida!

Anonymous said...

Yea!!! You are such a rock star!! So, I apologize for not being a faithful checker...heck, I don't even log my own stuff right now...but I do enjoy catching up on your life...I miss you so much!! And I am soooo proud of you, Lori!! I just spent the last 30 minutes talking about my awesome friend who's gonna kick my bootie at IMFL!!! Are you doing Harvest Moon?? Yippee yi yeah, CowPatty!! Just remember to SMIIIILE !!!! Love ya, girl!

Tea said...

Hey Triturtl...I'm sorry...I lost your email address. So, I have to post here.

Look for me on Sunday. I have a blue trek (road bike). I'm tall 5'10" with dark blonde hair. Ok, so it'll be dark, and we probably won't be able to see anything.

If we don't meet up before the race, say HI when you pass me on the bike. :)

I start in wave B: white swim cap. (40-44 ag).

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!

Di said...

ld never worry about if you finish last. Fi's i, it sounds like you'll have NO problem with that! wishing you and Tea both wonderful thoughts today

Duane said...

E-mail me at dkn747@yahoo.com so I can send you the photos. Congrats!

Mile High Multisport said...

Lori: Great job on Sunday. I thought I thought I heard them announce Greg finishing but I wasn't sure. We took off when the storm blew in. I'm sure you flashed that big smile of yours when you crossed the line. Way to stick it out in terrible conditions.