Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Senseless tired rambling

Do you how many wonderful Ironman blogs are out there right now? I just can't say enough about the school teacher blogger that calls herself Geekgirl. She just finished Ironman Louisville and every post the last two weeks has been a huge inspiration. She's an athena, and could care less that she's a little on the slow side. I also love IM Able. She's heading off to Wisconsin this weekend. I can't wait for her race report. She's another one that's familiar with the back of the pack, but she gives 110%.

I'm out there doing what I can. I'm in no way as cool as them. The latest in my Ironman training:

I was out of town over the weekend (read no bike) and did a ten mile run that went really well for me. I ran 12 minute miles, but I've had a plethora of them lately that ended up 13-14 minute miles, so I was happy with it. The following day I did a 5 mile run that also went well for me. I was able to stick my head in the ocean, and no I didn't like it, and no it didn't make me any more comfortable about swimming in the ocean in less than two months. But I think I can do it.

Right now I'm just trying to keep my head on straight, stay calm (emotional meltdown on the bike Friday wasn't something I want to do again. My coach assured me that it's very normal for stressed out triathletes, especially Ironman triathletes, to have moments like those.)

I got my bike in tonight. It rained for the last hour. It wasn't pleasant because I was wet and thusly cold, but those are my Ironman moments. These are the workouts that matter. I was thinking about my friend Kirk and every other triathlete that did IMWI last year. They perservered in the rain and cold. I'm not ready to give up on this dream. We're doing it!!! Bring on the three hour run and 5.5 hour bike this weekend. Iron--that's what I want to be.

2 comments:

Duane said...

It will be great to see you get Iron! I was at the LooaVille finish line and thought GeekGirl had been pulled off the bike course cuz I didn't see her on the run. Then with about 2 minutes left she comes shooting out of the darkness down the finishing chute! I cried right on the spot! It was one most inspirational moments ever! She really is something else. You will do this!

Anonymous said...

Just remember that there is one thing that you cannot control: the weather. Yeah, it may suck that it is hot, the wind is blowing and it is raining. You can't control that so there is no use worrying or fretting over it. Expend your energy on things you can control and you will be a better triathlete.