Friday, July 20, 2007

Zillion thoughts at once

* We're on. We had a death in my husband's family and it looked like the Peak might not happen this weekend. Not sure how we were going to get there, but an impromptu trip to California was suddenly on the horizon. It kind of felt like a bike crash. You worked so hard to get to race day, but alas, you don't get to pass 'Go' (or Old Stage Hill) and you don't get to collect $200 (or the cool Boulder Peak race shirt and swag bag.) I was sad, but there's nothing you can do about it. You make triathlon your life, but believe it or not, there really are some things out there that are bigger. I realized that if the hubby went to Cali without me, I'd feel guilty, and that long lonely run into the finish line would be made that much more awful without the hubby cheering me in. Life. It's always good for a few curve balls.

But... after much roller coaster planning and emotions, we're now staying in town with a visit to California to be made at a later, calmer date. Boulder Peak, here we come!


* So, we're on again! The Peak. Let's see what we've got on deck this weekend:
- Several long steady miles uphill as we ascend to complete 2/3 of a mile at a 15% grade - Check!
- Some history with the Peak - Check!
- Lots of long slow training, but very little at the pace I'd like to be at this weekend- Check!
- A forecast of 100 degrees on Sunday - Check!
- The last female wave start in the race (= later, hotter, and lonely finish) - Check!
- Lots of pro athletes signed up that will start shortly after me, and will surely finish long before me, but I do get to check out their hot bods as they pass me on the course - Check!
- Big wave of men swimming right after me (more realistic to say they'll be swimming on top of me) Good Ironman washing machine start practice! - Check!
- Late start means a late arrival on the run course in the heat of the day - Running by myself long after everyone else finishes - More great Ironman training! - Check!
- Lots of freaking out on my part - Check!


*I'm so nervous. It's supposed to be a 100 on Sunday. Please, please don't let me completely die on that run course... I want to do well!!!!! Man I wish I knew how much to push/not push on my bike.

* And one last thought on a whim--Today was a moderately flat stage in the Tour de France. My man Big Tom gave a hard sprint finish and won the stage. *Eyelashes flutter flutter flutter*

4 comments:

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

Girlfren...a 2/3 mile hill at 15% grade just made ME pee my pants. Good grief! That will be a monster deposit into that there IM bank.

MONSTER.

And just think, when you're on the last 50 yards and you think your legs will fall of or you just may fall over sideways...you will NEVER have to do that in Florida!

:)

todd said...

Good luck this weekend.

Duane said...

Good luck! Hydrate hydrate hydrate, and lots of endurolytes:-)

Anonymous said...

Will you post a race report for us?