Thursday, July 5, 2007

Recovery Weeks Rock!

As if it needs to be formally spoken--recovery weeks rock!!!! Why can't they all be like this? (Because you'd never improve! Duh!) Today I had to swim and run. My run was a 10 warm-up, 20 minutes pushing it, 10 minutes easy. It was soooooo nice!

Yesterday I did an open water swim. It made me excessively late for all 4th of July festivities, and in the end, I was tired, really late, really hungry, and smelled like lake water... I ended up not going to my friend's BBQ. Nobody ever said your social life would be at the top of it's game when you're training for an ironman.

Least favorite moment of the open water swim yesterday: You have to look up and sight a lot because there are other swimmers coming at you. I thought I saw someone in a white cap coming towards me. I continue sighting it. As I get closer, I see that it's a large DEAD fish floating in the water! Ugh!!!! Suddenly the water, I know you can't smell in the water, but I kid you not, all of a sudden the water smelled like fish!!! Ick! And of course I had to swim by that nasty fish two more times. It was 12 inches or bigger at least! I'm sure the smell was all in my head, but Yuck!!!!
Got in 3000 meters of open water swimming though! Took almost an hour and a half. That was with breaks. It makes me hopeful that I can do 4000 meters in two hours, just need to continue to work on it--and be able to have the endurance to do it without breaks. At one time, 2.4 miles of swimming was incomprehensible. I'm not saying two hours of swimming will be easy, it's going to be dog hard, but I'm starting to get my head around it and think that it might be humanly possible.

3 comments:

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

I'm so jealous! 3,000 yards in open water is a huge confidence builder! Congrats and don't worry about missing the holiday stuff -- you'd likely never remember that party, but you'll always remember your first iron!

Tea said...

Thanks for making my IM seem more realistic for me. It's nice to know that you have the same thoughts.

3000m in OW is awesome. What a great sense of accomplishment.

The Original MAJ said...

What an awesome swim. I've kicked a few dead animals in the lakes myself. *shudder*