Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The latest

I think I'm doing well. No injuries. Hurrah! I'm following my training plan like clockwork, and I'm doing it. Still pretty worried about time. It's funny how friends that don't understand will tell me, "I can't believe how much you train. You can absolutely do it! You just have to win the mental game." That's nice, and to some degree they are right, but there is oh so much more that I need to do before I can get to the finish line on November 3 before 11:59 p.m.

I'm kind of excited about my Olympic race on July 22. The Boulder Peak. I also have my first ever half-ironman on Aug. 12. The 5430 Long Course. I'm excited, and scared. I'm putting the training in... I just don't know what will happen on those days.

I was thinking that my coach was really pushing me overboard on the training since I'm not working over the summer. I'm a little disheartened as I've done some searching, looked over other training programs, and looked at other blogs. I'm basically doing the distances I should be--just a slower than I should be. Here's what I had for last week:

Swim - 4.63 miles
Bike - 108.25 miles
Run - 19.25 miles
+ weights & core = 16:40 hours

Thoughts for the week:
- Had lunch with a coworker/marathon runner. It was SO awesome to talk to someone that gets training! She skipped the end-of-school year party because she had an important run to do that night. Alcohol is a big no-no when training is heavy. I was just so happy, I'm not a total freak.
- NEED to talk to my buddy that did IMmoo last year!!!!
- Summer is flying by. Relaxation time? Where is it?
- Long Sunday bike: 63 miles. It had me questioning how on earth I can do a 56 mile half IM w/o stopping.
- Liked the route for my long bike ride. Colorado is the best state ever!
- On lng bike I saw: 3 flat dead big snakes, rode over 1 baby not sure if it was dead snake, saw 1 flat frog, 2 mules--like the Eddy Murphy character in Shrek!, one Jeep with Mule butts in it that felt the need to scare the daylights out of me as they honked while going by, about 100 horses, about 400 cattle, about 25 goats, too many hills, a nice school teacher in my district that also likes to bike, and a Vitamin Cottage store strategically placed at my turn around! Yahoo!
- Don't like Vitamin Water
- Need to spend the $$$ to really get the ideal nutrition on my bike rides and get my plan formed. It's still not even close to figured out.
- Finally got the Bike Fitting. Only small tweaks needed!
- Aerobars are now on!!!! Pretty shaky using them, but I'll get there!
- Recovery week is next!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

The Stretch Doc said...

yeah not much on Vit. water either.
and I'm with you on the nutrition on the bike, im still working on it too. and dont worry about the aeros, you'll get used to them.

have a great 4th July.

rockon`

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

Finding the right nutrition is almost like finding the right boyfriend -- lots of time, dates that leave you with a bad taste in your mouth, and sometimes it's all about trial and error.

Sigh.

But in the end, it's worth it. My Perpetuem/HEED/GU plan won't do the dishes and tuck me in at night, but it's a close second!