Friday, August 3, 2007

le downpour

I got my wish...

Today - three hour bike ride. I'm having some motivational issues, but I realized that this might be the last midweek bike ride that I can take for awhile without racing the sunset in the late evening hours. In less than a week I'll be sitting in some boring meeting, looking out the window, and daydreaming that I'm out on my bike. That helped the motivational issues... I got out and made a conscious effort to enjoy... And enjoy it I did.

1 1/2 hours in - I look up and it's getting pretty overcast. Huh, I still have an hour and a half to go and those clouds are building pretty fast. Hmmmm....
30 minutes from home - a light pitter patter starts to fall. The kind that isn't worth leaving your windshield wipers on. It continues for about 20 minutes and in a weird way, all I could think about was "Bring it on!" I've yet to have one ride this summer where I got totally dumped on. It always starts just as I'm a block from home. Which in many respects is very lucky, but C'mon! If you're training for an Ironman, don't you really need 1 or 2 'I got caught in a massive storm and the lightning bolt was 3 inches from my head' stories!!!???

I'm nearing home. The rain is even lighter now, and I'm gonna be 15 minutes short of my 3 hour mark. I decide to take the long way home that I well know will put me 15 minutes over the 3 hour mark, but oh well...
Soooooooooooooo... Those rainclouds must have heard me, waited til I decided to take the long way home, and then BAM! decided to test my will! As soon as I made the turn for the long route, that cloud decided to rear its ugly head and opened up and gave me every last ounce of precipitation it had in it. COMPLETE downpour for 20 minutes. Soaked to the bone... Water running off my helmet like a downspout. Shoes and socks are literally sloshing. It was beautiful. Of course it let up just about the time I pulled into my driveway. And the sun was peeking through about the time I got out of the warm shower...

But it was a beautiful thing, I really mean it. What an amazing ride! I knew that people were driving by feeling sorry for that poor girl on her bike. The whole time I just wanted to sit up and throw my arms in the air like a 1st place tour rider and yell, "I'M GONNA BE AN IRONMAN!!!!" Yahoo!

3 comments:

Tea said...

I don't think I've read a post that sums it all up like that one.

That's a great story and picture.

Duane said...

Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

You know, I've heard that it sometimes rains during an Ironman competition. The wet stuff is good for you!