Wednesday, March 28, 2007

When you teach and live in the same area


Having a five or ten minute commute to work is a beautiful thing... Running into your students at the grocery store, gas station, rec center... Not as nice...


I've accepted that I will see my students everywhere if I live so close to the school I teach at. It hasn't been as much of a problem with middle school kids, they tend to hide, but the elementary kids are just the opposite. Elementary kids will yell from the end of a grocery aisle to say hi to you.


I only worry about this when I'm at the rec center... And my biggest fear came close to realized last night. I did my best walk/jog for a while on the treadmill. (It's still not going well with the pneumonia thing, but I'm trying to do something.) I go into the locker room to change so I can swim a few laps. Mind you, I have to get totally naked to get my swimsuit on. No one is in there, so I breathe a sigh of relief. Shortly after removing my shoes, two young girls come bounding in... To the locker next to me... And yes, they were former students of mine. Time for me to stall. I do not want my students to see me naked, nor do I have any desire to see them... Aaahhhh!!!! Creepy!!!!!!!!!!


One of the girls recognizes me, the other does not. I say "hi" and ask how school is going. They tell me they are in day camp. The babysitter/day camp girl appears nervous that I'm talking to the girls and rushes them on. Whew! They leave and I can finally change...


Only I start undressing and the little girl that didn't recognize me comes bounding back in screaming my name! Apparently she forgot her towel, only to realize she didn't forget her towel... Or at least that's what she told her babysitter. I think she just wanted to see if it was really me. IT IS. PLEASE LEAVE.


I change in peace and quiet. I go out to swim, and the girls start screaming my name to come swim with them on the other side of the pool. It really was a little embarassing. I wave and jump in my lane. I do my laps (coughing on the ends--stupid pneumonia!) The girls wave at me at every opportunity.


I enjoy the attention, because I probably won't receive this kind of attention for too much longer. They'll forget me sooner or later and the middle school kids will completely ignore me...


I go in to shower and change. Luckily, no spies are in proximity...


I'm drying my hair (with clothes on!) and I spot my nine-year-old neighbor putting her bathing suit on... Aaaahhhhh!


I turned my head and hid from her... She never saw me. Whew!

No comments: