Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Great Italian Adventure 2008

It all started as a way for me to avoid watching my husband sign up for another Ironman. I knew in my heart of hearts that the jealousy would eat me alive. I wanted something to take my mind off the lack of racing I would be doing this summer and the fertility treatments that we've now started. Yes, we have the money, but the economy is taking a sharp downturn and the bills from the fertility treatments haven't yet started. (Nor did we know at the time of planning that we would return to discover that my husband's job will soon to be outsourced to India. Not the best news to come home to!) Nonetheless, if we're really serious about these fertility treatments, and a family really is in our future... This is the time to take a trip like this. And George W. just mailed us a check that he wanted us to spend... Albeit, not necessarily overseas, but it certainly helped.

We talked to several friends, and it was decided. Can you really put a price on travel and great memories??? We're back now and I think it was worth every penny. I teach art and I got to see Michaelangelo's "Pieta," "David," and the "Sistine Chapel." I saw the Raphael rooms at the Vatican as well as Raphael's burial. We went to a Leonardo DaVinci museum in Florence and saw countless sculptures by Bernini in Rome. I almost have to pinch myself from the disbelief that I just returned from all of those beautiful things.

All of the time I spent researching our trip prior to leaving paid out ten-fold. While not extravagant, our lodgings were all very nice for our budget. I discovered there would be a 24 hour train strike and completely revamped our trip prior to leaving.... An American couple that we ran into a couple of times in Rome didn't fare as well. They bought tickets and had them in hand but ended up surprised when they showed up one day to a closed train station. We had a glorious time. It was definitely one of those times when you're sad halfway through the trip because it's already half-over.
We had our fill of pizza. We also struggled through a dinner where we were only able to order a delicious appetizer but we couldn't seem to get past it with our waitress. We cut our losses and finished the meal at a gelato stand instead. And then of course we probably didn't eat as much gelato as we should have... (that may be one of my ONLY regrets)

When friends ask me how Italy was, I just have smile and sigh. It really was wonderful. Every town we visited was so different from the next. And I can't help but think there were so many other wonderful towns that we never visited.

It's nice to see other parts of the world. It makes me appreciate all that we have in the United States. At times it makes me embarassed, too. That's what travel does. It enlightens and humbles you.

Here's one of the few reasons I couldn't wait to get back to the United States. Our public bathrooms are in abundance... And we have a seat. It was rare (when I could find a public restroom) to have a toilet seat. Apparently women are taught early on to squat. This one came as a surprise to me. hee hee. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree more Gelato would have been great!